Friday, June 6, 2014

How to: homemade fake blood!

Working on a spooky costume? Crappy pre-made store-bought fake blood simply not cutting it for you? Here's my first attempt at homemade fake blood with ingredients from around your kitchen, recipe given to me by sfxmakeupblog. I thought I would share how I did it, with pictures! In case anyone finds it useful.

The ingredients you will need are:
  • Corn Syrup (I used Crown brand - any brand works just make sure it's the colorless corn syrup)
  • Chocolate syrup
  • Red, blue, and yellow food coloring
  • For thicker blood: coffee grinds and flour


Add your corn syrup to the bowl. This is going to be your base, so however much blood you need, add the desired amount of corn syrup. You're going to want to use about 8-10 drops of red, 1 drop (or if you can manage half a drop) of blue, and I'm guessing like 5 drops of yellow. If you put too much blue your mix ends up looking magenta-toned. Add just a few drops of chocolate syrup.
As you can see, my yellow food coloring was empty. (Note to self: buy ASAP) So, I used yellow sugar and like an idiot thought the grains would dissolve in the mix. Well, they didn't. So that's the little grain things you see in the bowl. Obviously, my final mix will not have those. Luckily this was just a test!
Add a few pinches of flour, and about a teaspoon of coffee grinds for thicker blood. This is what I did here.

This is what it looks like on the skin. From here, you can use trial and error to add whatever you feel your mix needs more of.

It dries on the skin completely in about 15 minutes, if you've got a thin layer. 30 minutes for thicker "gloops."
In the picture below, the top "slash" is the thinner blood, the bottom is the thicker. I was testing out both on my skin because for my costume I'll be having both thin slashes on my wrists and one large drippy slash on my neck. (my costume: Abaddon from Supernatural) Next step is seeing how it works on top of liquid latex!

I left it on for about an hour, to test out how it felt. It feels pretty good on the skin, not itchy or uncomfortable. Stretchy, too, doesn't crack. Cleanup is easy-peasy! Just rinse off with warm water and no staining!
Overall a million times better than typical store-bought cheap halloween blood.
Happy concocting!

17 comments:

  1. I'm going as abbadon this year and was wondering if I could make this a day before and put it in the fridge over night? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :) Yep! for sure. You actually don't even need to refrigerate it necessarily; since all the ingredients are pulled outta your pantry. I left mine in a small tupperware for two weeks then used it again and it was still okay hahaha. best of luck!

      Delete
  2. The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing..
    鑽石淨度

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much.
    restoration company Carrmel IN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this article very helpful. thanks.
    water restoration

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. and great website. Thanks for the information!
    Digital Painting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject!
    digital drawing tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really a nice and informative. containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it.
    painting in photoshop

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is highly informatics. crisp and clear. I think that everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things.
    painting in photoshop

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking.
    linear vibrating feeder

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles. I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work
    what can you buy with bitcoins

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming...
    Nature Republic

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck.
    office com setup

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are some great tools that i definitely use for SEO work. This is a great list to use in the future..
    Cash home buyer

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.
    Asbestos Claims

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have read your article. it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it..
    Xanax for sale in the Internet

    ReplyDelete
  16. When it comes to roofing Indianapolis IN residents want their roofers to be able to do more than just roof installation. It can be tricky finding a company that handles roof repairs, maintenance, installing gutters, and siding. If you want a company that can do all of these things, then you have come to the right place. We are the roofing contractors Indianapolis always needed!




    Address: 809 Lionshead Ln, Greenwood, IN, 46143

    Phone: (317) 751-7125

    business email: newroofmadeeasy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete